Sunday Mix: Fresh Produce
Posted by Justin Boland on Feb 13, 2011 | 0 Comments
This mix is unusually damn good. I mean, I’m always trying to bring you the best of the best, but the Universe really hooked it up this week. This is entirely brand new material and all of it is Face-Melter Type Good. Let’s get right into it…
- Malcolm & Martin - Ka$h - there’s been a lot impressive new acts showing up in 2011 but these cats are probably my favorites so far. They are ALWAYS speaking truth and NEVER preachy or boring with it. That’s HARD. They’re DOPE.
- Blu, Freddie Gibbs and Homeboy Sandman - In - this is from the Homebase NYC EP, which really impressed me because it doesn’t sound like much else that’s out right now. This is a great posse cut that makes no fucking sense at all. Freddie Gibbs into Homeboy Sandman = weirdest transition of the year, easy.
- Kyle Rapps ft. Joell Ortiz - Hard Knock Children - Cold classic cut right here, I will be bumping this in 2021. Throwback perfection, and you already know Ortiz brings it.
- The Aztext - I Make Records - Vermont has, against all odds, been putting itself on the map in the past year. The Aztext are about to take it to another level in 2011. This is a warning shot.
- Silent Knight - Stayin’ Busy - for my money, 2010’s freshman of the year. Curren$y and Wiz made more dough, Fashawn got more co-signs, but this kid has been insanely consistent and prolific. Rock solid verses, always. Definitely get familiar with this cat if you’re not already there.
- The ILLZ - To Know Your Place in the Universe - This is one of my favorite tracks of the year so far. Powerful verses over a beat that’s straight out of an acid trip, reminds me of some vintage Ninja Tune or DJ Shadow at the peak of his production powers.
- Stalley ft. Rashad - Slapp - How could I not include this? Beautiful jam from Stalley, perfect track for driving around on mushrooms and throwing water balloons at strangers. (Really, try it out if you think I’m lying.)
- J. Medeiros - Stronger Man (Animal House Remix) - Always been feeling this guy’s honest and intricate approach. This is an awesome track made far awesomer via this visionary remix from Animal House. Perfect outro. Have a great fucking day, folks, I love you all.